Each plant in the country requires a certain portion of fertilizer for the season in order to be able to show juicy greens, bright flowering and harvest of poured fruits. But it is not always necessary to use expensive additives, because experienced farmers have long known such plants as siderates.
Every day, he works to give the readers of the site the most useful information that can be effectively used to take care of the summer cottage. Today we will try again to reduce costs, and begin to grow siderates in the country, which bring a lot of benefits.
Why it is useful to grow green manure in the country
Initially, we will consider the main functions of these plants in order to understand what beneficial effect they can have on the soil, and how they can help crops grown in the country.
- Siderata promotes loosening of the soil, and perhaps this is due to a well-developed root system;
- The long roots of a variety of green manure extract natural mineral elements from the depths of the soil, which in the future will be used by cultivated plants;
- This species can be safely used in the form of mulch, which contributes to the quality growth of plants;
- Siderata contribute to the rapid restoration of soil that has suffered from erosion;
- Thanks to green manure crops, the number of weeds on the site can be significantly reduced;
- It is also possible to clean the sites of pests, suppress many plant diseases;
- With the planting of such plants in the country, it is possible to normalize the temperature regime in summer and winter, as well as to contribute to the weathering of fertile soil layers and the protection of seedlings from the scorching sun;
- Plants of this species are able to retain nutrients in the upper layers of the soil, in which most cultivated plants feed in the country.
In addition, green manure is a food for many microorganisms and worms, due to which, the soil becomes even better.
There is an opinion that siderates are one of the best assistants of a summer resident. They are not always worth digging up, since they loosen the soil without it, additional impacts can destroy the fertile layer and kill beneficial microorganisms. To successfully transfer these plants to the rank of useful fertilizers, you only need to cut off their aboveground part and shed the plants with a special tool with effective microorganisms.
What is important to know when using siderates
You should not just grow green manure in the country, experiment on your own with plants and “invent a bicycle” again, because on our site you can find not only generally recognized information, but also specific advice from professional summer residents. We give several of them now:
Siderates are used to produce humus, but this process rarely occurs on its own, so a small pre-production push should be made. It is known that humus from siderats can form only in moist soil, and therefore, if your site is experiencing drought or is located in a very warm region, then cut plants should be shed from time to time, this is important!
The use of green manure in the country is very timely, because at some point the plants can turn into useless and even harmful. During the budding period, when the flowering phase has not yet begun, cut off the aerial part and use it for mulching or for other purposes. Otherwise, you can be late and get stiff stems, which during processing will actively use nutrients from the upper layers of fertile soil!
Try to use only natural green manure, buy seeds from trusted suppliers, otherwise when processing plant residues with microorganisms and worms, their poor quality can negatively affect the vital activity of the latter.
We select siderata for giving
The choice of siderates for mulching and fertilizing the soil is very difficult, as is the choice of mulch from other materials or the application of fertilizing itself. Why so? The answer is simple - a variety of plants in the country, different agricultural technology, different soil quality, acidity, composition and other reasons that many of us forget to pay attention to.
It is required to select individual siderates for each group of cultures, try to combine them, cross as much as possible to exert only a positive influence.
Let’s look at exactly which siderates today can be planted in the country.
This group includes rape, mustard, spring and winter rape, oil radish. It has been established that with the use of plants of this group, it is possible to qualitatively supply the site with sulfur and phosphorus, as well as loosen and structure the soil.
Legumes of the siderat family
The following list of siderates is legumes. It includes clover and alfalfa, fodder beans and various varieties of peas, white and blue lupins, spring and winter vetch. With the help of a group of plants, you can supply the soil with nitrogen and loosen it as much as possible.
Pay attention to alfalfa and clover. Plants are used not only as siderates, but also as fodder. It is advisable to grow these crops in limited areas, as these are rapidly growing perennials.
Cereals of the cereal family
Everything is very simple here - it is wheat, rye, oats and sorghum. Each culture is very valuable for farmers, but they can be used in a different direction.
This group increases the amount of potassium in the soil, loosens the soil and suppresses many weeds with its growth. In addition, it is possible to protect the soil from water and wind erosion, if you use rye on the site.
It seems to us that it is also worth mentioning other popular sideral plants for growing in a summer garden - phacelia, nasturtium and clover. Unpretentious plants that will help to cope with many problems on your own site!
When to plant green manure
The cultivation of green manure is best started in the spring, a few weeks before planting seedlings, although it is possible to sow these plants even in summer and autumn.
If you plant green manure in the spring, before planting seedlings of cultivated plants, you can maximize the soil. In addition, planting seedlings directly on the site with green manure is the maximum protection against night cooling and the scorching day sun. The average temperature will remain on the site, which will not allow the atmospheric phenomenon and the change of night and day to affect the seedlings.
When the green manure grows and begins to shade tomatoes, peppers and eggplants on the site, cut off their stems and lay them right on the bed. We remind you that a slice of these plants for mulching must be carried out at the very beginning of budding!
What sidereal crops are sown in spring
Experienced summer residents use several crops during the warm season, so that there is always an influx of fresh greenery to mulch and fertilize the soil with young useful plants. But the first sowing always takes place in the spring, and the following crops are most suitable for this:
- Vika spring. Great for planting on a site where different varieties of peppers will be grown. Plants should be cut 12-14 days before transplanting into the ground;
- Spring rape. The plant should be sown in the last days of March or at the beginning of April, and the cut should be made in about 35-45 days;
- Surepitsa. Sowing occurs approximately simultaneously with spring rape, as the recommended period before the cut is 45-60 days;
- Phacelia. An excellent precursor to any vegetable crop, and plants are cut approximately 50 days after planting;
- Mustard. The best predecessor for potatoes and other root crops (but can not be crossed with cruciferous). The cut is made in 35-45 days.
Sowing of siderates in summer and autumn is also possible. In the summer - to supply the site with additional mulch and fertilizers, in the fall - under the spring cut for the rapid formation of a high-quality fertile layer. Most suitable for this is vetch, rye and mustard.
Are siderates useful in the country (video)
Grow siderates in the country Today is not only fashionable, but also very useful. We will be grateful to each of our readers who share their own experiences or new ideas about siderats.