We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The dimensions of the drawings of the 12-frame Dadan hive are most often of interest to beekeepers because of the versatility of the design. Among the variety of models, the house occupies the golden mean in terms of size and weight. There are hives with fewer frames, but they are not always practical. Large 14 and 16-frame models are handy for large bribes. However, such hives are difficult to carry.
Benefits of keeping bees in Dadans
The design of the Dadanov hives is considered outdated, but is still popular with many amateur beekeepers. The fact is explained by a number of advantages:
- the spacious body is convenient for accommodating a large bee colony;
- in the hive in winter, you can keep two bee colonies, separated by a partition;
- thoughtful design of the hive reduces the likelihood of swarming;
- simplified access to frames and honeycombs located in one place;
- to expand the space for bees or honey frames, the hive is supplemented with cases and shops;
- the single-hive hive is multifunctional, which saves the beekeeper from unnecessary work with the hives.
Despite the fact that the model is outdated, frames, spare cases and other parts are always on sale for the Dadant hives.
Advice! Dadan's cases are considered to be easy to manufacture. It is optimal for beginners-beekeepers to start working in an apiary from these hives.
Classification of Dadan hives
By design, Dadan hives are divided into single-body and multi-body models. In terms of dimensions, the following types are distinguished:
- a non-standard design is an 8-frame house, which is rarely found among amateur beekeepers;
- among beekeepers for 10 frames, the Dadan hive is considered a classic;
- a 12-frame house has a square shape, which allows you to put frames on a warm and cold skid;
- hives for 14 and 16 frames are bulky and heavy, more suitable for stationary apiaries.
French by birth, Charles Dadant is considered to be the first creator of hives where bee colonies can be vertically arranged. For improvement, the beekeeper chose an 8-frame house, re-equipping it with 12 Quimby frames.
Over time, the development of Dadant was improved by the Swiss professional - Blatt. According to the beekeeper, Dadant's hives are better suited for warm areas. The Swiss reduced the width of the hull, adapting the house for wintering in more severe conditions. After the improvement, the frames were reduced from 470 mm to 435 mm, which became the standard. The system was named "Dadan-Blat" in honor of the two creators, but among the people, the design remained called Dadanovskoy.
Important! Regardless of the number of frames, the design of Dadan's hives is the same. Only the dimensions differ.
Dadan hive device
Dadan's hives have the simplest design. However, when making your own, you need to know what parts the house consists of, how it is arranged.
Features of Dadan-Blatt hives
A feature of the Dadanov model is the vertical arrangement, which corresponds to the natural system of wild bee nests. The hive consists of the following elements:
- The bottom is made of planks and has a rectangular shape. The sides are equipped with three strips for docking with the body. Instead of the fourth plank, a gap is left that forms a tap hole. The bottom protruding beyond the dimensions of the hull with a width of at least 5 cm is an arrival board. With the beginning of honey collection, if necessary, the element is expanded with attachments.
- The body is a box with four side walls without a bottom and a cover. Wall thickness 45 mm. Dimensions depend on the number of frames. Inside the case there are folds with a height of about 20 mm and a width of about 11 mm. Frames are hung on the ledges.
- The store is similar in design to the body, only smaller in height. They put him on the hive during honey collection. The shop has half frames.
- The roof protects the interior of the hive from precipitation. Beekeepers make flat, single-slope and double-slope designs.
- The canopy is usually 120 mm high. The element serves to insulate the hive and install the feeder.
Each Dadan hive module is interchangeable. The beekeeper decides for himself how much he needs to build up. A feature of the Dadanov houses is the design of the bottom. There are models with an integral and removable element for easy cleaning.
Arrangement of multi-hive hives Dadan
Multi-body Dadans are no different from single-body models. The difference lies in the number of cases that can accommodate more frames, which is important during honey collection. Most often they are increased by 4 pieces. In multihull hives, it is easier for the beekeeper to predict when swarming will begin. If necessary, the modules are rearranged, added or reduced.
What is the difference between Dadan and Ruth
Ruta and Dadan hives are considered the most popular and in demand. The main difference is their design. The Rutov model is complex, more suitable for professional beekeepers. The house consists of several modules. More often they are increased to 6 pieces. The Rutov model differs in size. In the hives, frames of 230x435 mm are used.
Dadan's hives are simpler than Rut's counterparts, and are recommended for beginner amateur beekeepers. If we talk about the difference in dimensions, then the size of the Dadan frame is 300x435 mm, and the half-frame is 145x435 mm. Another important difference is the technology of keeping bees, the way of removing honey. Compared to the Rutov hives, the Dadans' nesting frames are located higher - 300 mm. The indicator for Root is 230 mm.
Do-it-yourself Dadan hive for 8 frames
The smallest in size is considered to be an 8-frame Dadan. Such hives are rarely used in amateur apiaries and are made independently.
Drawings and dimensions of the Dadan hive for 8 frames
It is difficult to find drawings on the 8-frame Dadan hive, and they are not always needed. The design is considered non-standard. Amateur beekeepers make houses according to their preference, modifying some of the elements. As for the dimensions, then in self-production they rely on the following parameters:
- The length of the body is equal to the length of the Dadanov frame plus 14 mm. A gap of 7.5 mm is provided between the side slats and the walls of the house.
- The width of the hive is calculated by the number of frames multiplied by their thickness. For an 8 frame house, the number 8 is multiplied by 37.5 mm. The last indicator is the thickness of the frames.
- The height of the module is equal to the height of the frame plus the height of the folds.
In an 8-frame hive, the nest width is 315 mm. There are 7 streets, which can accommodate up to 2.5 kg of bees. For the winter, the house is equipped with a store containing 8 honeycomb-filled frames with a total weight of 12 kg. In the nesting frames, the honey supply reaches 1.5 kg. The total supply of forage for the bee colony for the winter varies from 20 to 25 kg.
Making the Dadan hive begins with the preparation of the material. The dry board is dismissed with a circular saw to the required width and length, and is subjected to grinding. The grooves of the lock connection are cut out at the ends.
After preparing the material, they start assembling the 8 frame hive:
- The body is assembled by connecting the prepared boards. Locks for tightness and reliability before docking are lubricated with PVA glue.
- The front and back sides of the hive body are assembled at the top with a wide board, and the narrow one is placed at the bottom. The side walls are assembled in the reverse order. The spacing of the seams gives strength to the structure, prevents loosening. The ends of the walls (corners of the body) are connected with self-tapping screws. Pins or nails can be used.
- A notch is cut out at the bottom of the hive.
- By a similar principle, the bottom of the Dadan hive is assembled from the board. The assembled shield should fit snugly into the housing slats. For a reliable connection with a cutter, a groove with a width of 20 mm is selected. Outside the building, near the entrance, an arrival board is attached.
- Folds are formed on the inner walls of the case. The protrusions will play the role of stops for the frame hangers.
- The finished body is painted on the outside with oil or water-based paint.
Stores are made according to a similar principle, only at a lower height. The board can be taken with a lesser thickness - about 20 mm. The supports for the frames are made of rails screwed with self-tapping screws from the inside of the walls of the case.
The roof is assembled universal, suitable for the store and the Dadanov hive. A little play is left at the connection between the removable cover and the case, but they provide a snug fit.
Important! From exposure to the sun and moisture, wooden cases slightly change size. The wood dries up or swells. The backlash between the roof and the hive body will ensure their free separation.
Ventilation is arranged between the lid and the body. There are two options:
- make a large top notch with a length of 120 mm;
- make a narrow upper notch, and cut through grooves on the sides and close them with a mesh.
Both methods are good. The choice is up to the beekeeper's preference.
The roof is sheathed from above with a material that protects the hive from precipitation. Sheet steel is suitable, preferably non-corrosive. Galvanized steel is usually used.
Keeping bees in eight-frame Dadan hives
The Dadan hive is 8 frames in size approximately the same as the Rut's body. Corresponds to the number of cells to build. However, the Dadan design is not able to provide all the advantages of a multi-body hive. Dadanovska and rutovsky frames differ in height. In a multi-tiered Dadant hive, they should not be placed against the nests due to the large gap between the hulls.
In 8-frame Dadan, because of the high height, the bees are reluctant to get to the store. They begin to deposit honey at the top of the nesting frame. This place is the darkest. The egg-laying queen moves closer to the entrance. The uterus needs oxygen. If Dadan for 8 frames is made without an upper entrance, the queen will willingly work only from below. Brood from top to bottom bar will not work. There will be problems with the transition to the store.
Advice! If we compare the 8-frame Dadan and Ruta, then the first type of hive is considered non-standard. No spare parts are produced for it, and there are no detailed drawings in the literature.
Beehives, laps, roof liners will have to be done independently, to calculate the optimal sizes, to come up with devices.
How to make a 10-frame Dadant hive
For a beginner beekeeper, it is optimal to maintain the dimensions of a 10-frame hive on a Dadanov frame, and make a structure on their own.
Drawings and dimensions of the Dadan hive for 10 frames
In general terms, the drawing of a 10-frame Dadan hive is similar to the design diagram for 8 frames. The only difference is the size.
Tools and materials
To assemble the hive, you will need dry boards in the same way. Pine, willow or linden are ideal. In the absence of these species, other wood with a light specific gravity will do. From the tool you need a circular saw, a grinder, a set of chisels, a plane, a router.
The sequence of assembling a 10-frame Dadan is no different from the previous model for 8 frames. The body and the bottom are assembled from a cut board according to the drawing. The workpieces are connected with a thorn-groove lock with a preliminary coating with glue. It is advisable to make holes from above and below. The roof is optimally sheathed with an aluminum sheet. Due to the lighter weight of aluminum, the total weight of the 10 frame hive will be reduced. The shops are the last to collect. The finished structure is painted.
Features of beekeeping in 10-frame Dadans
Dadant's hive is 10 frames better than its brethren when it comes to keeping a young brood that has never hibernated. However, for a developed strong family, such a house is small. The content of bees in 10 and 12 frame hives is the same. The first option wins only in less weight, which is convenient for carrying.
Because of the small nest of 10 frame hives, it is better to keep honey bees in two Dadan buildings. The nests themselves are not reduced for the winter. If it is necessary to divide the bee colony for half the summer, some of the bees without a queen are sent to another small hive, where a new development will begin. The remaining bees with the queen will eventually fill the entire nest.
However, a 10-frame hive can be used for a strong family if the nest is in two buildings. Inside the common house there will be extreme forage combs with honey and bee bread, 12 brood combs, 2 frames for new combs. In addition, there is a spare empty space inside for two frames. It is used when reinforcing the nest or brood rearing.
Diy Dadanovsky 12-frame beehive
To assemble a 12-frame Dadan hive with your own hands, the dimensions and drawings will need to be accurate. The design is characterized by increased dimensions. Sometimes houses are made with a removable bottom for easy cleaning.
Drawings and sizes of Dadan hives for 12 frames
The diagram shows a section of a two-tiered Dadant along and across the frames. According to the drawing with the dimensions, it is easy to assemble the hive bodies, bottom, cover and other elements of the hive.
Dimensions and drawings of the Dadan hive for 12 frames with a removable bottom
It makes no sense to repeat the drawing of the Dadan hive on 12 frames with a removable bottom, since it is identical. The same goes for sizes. The design is done according to a similar scheme, only the bottom is not fully fixed.
Required tools and materials
Of the materials, a board with a lock connection is used. Additionally, you will need nails, screws, PVA glue, sheet metal for roof upholstery. Tools are needed for woodworking: a plane, a saw, a router, chisels, a hammer.
How to make a Dadan hive on 12 frames with your own hands
After sanding the boards with sandpaper and cutting into blanks of the required size, they start assembling the house:
- Housing. The bottom is collected in exactly the same way as an 8 or 10 frame Dadan. The boards are connected with a lock, after having coated it with glue. Corner body joints are tightened with self-tapping screws or knocked down with nails.
- The next in turn are collecting shops. Inside all the cases, they make stops for the frames.
- When the stores are ready, they begin to make the under-roof part.
- For a taphole, a hole is cut in the body, an arrival bar is set.
- The lid is made last. The shield is similarly assembled from boards, galvanized on top.
The finished structure is checked that all elements are freely separated and folded. The final part is coloring the hive.
Important! When making it yourself, it is important to maintain the correct size underframe space in the Dadant hive.
Experienced beekeepers advise making it high up to 20 cm, so that the family can freely accommodate. In prefabricated Dadans, often the underframe space is 2 cm, which is very small for a strong bee colony.
Making hives for Dadan bees on 12 frames with a removable bottom
Dadan for 12 frames with a removable bottom is collected according to a similar principle. The only difference is the lower part. The bottom is assembled from a board in the form of a pallet. The shield is inserted into the body using folds that allow you to quickly assemble and disassemble the Hive. The thickness of the removable bottom is 30 mm, and the strapping is 35 mm. With the help of inserts, an additional tap hole is formed. For the winter, they are replaced with other liners with smaller holes to keep the heat inside the hive.
Inside a house with a removable bottom, the subframe space is kept up to 25 cm. The front part of the bottom protrudes 5 cm beyond the boundaries of the body, forming an arrival board.
Features of keeping bees in 12-frame Dadan hives
The features of caring for bees in 10 and 12 frame hives are the same. The design differs only by the difference in the number of frames. For 12-frame Dadan, it is additionally worth considering the Lonin method, which is also suitable for its 10-frame counterpart.
The technology requires the following actions:
- the period from March to the end of April is used to increase the nest in breadth;
- from April to May, dividing grids are installed to help increase the nest down, but the brood part is not disturbed;
- in the upper sections, until May 15, the mother liquors are cut off, or they are allowed to go to remove a new uterus;
- shops on the hive are building up before the start of honey collection.
When all the honey at the end of the season is pumped out, the hive is prepared for wintering.
Which hive is better: 10 or 12 frames
According to the principle of keeping bees, there is no particular difference between hives of 10 and 12 frames. The first version of the house is easier to carry, it is more suitable for a weak family. The second version of the house is more stable due to its square shape. The store can be placed 2 weeks late, and it is allowed to place it perpendicular to the frame of the nest. The downside is a lot of weight.
Drawings and dimensions of the 14-frame Dadan hive
Dadant's scheme for 14 frames is similar to its predecessors, only the increased sizes differ. The hive has several advantages:
- The increased volume, allowing to maintain a strong family, to receive large bribes.
- In a bed with two bodies, you can expand the nests for a long time, which is beneficial with a double-queen method of keeping bees.
- When the family expands to 24 frames, it does not need to be constrained in development.
- With the installation of extensions on the 14-frame Dadan, the bees are loaded with work for a long time. The beekeeper has free time.
The disadvantage is the large weight and dimensions. Hives are hard to carry. If the apiary is nomadic, there are fewer houses on the platform.
Important! To increase the productivity of an apiary with 14 frame Dadans, the beekeeper needs to improve the quality of the bees.
16-frame Dadant hive: dimensions and drawings
Dadan for 16 frames is a serious construction of large mass. Bees are kept on a cold drift, placing the frames perpendicular to the entrance.
The advantage of the design is considered:
- ease of inspection of the framework;
- improved air exchange of the nest;
- stability of the hive with a large number of extensions;
- during the honey collection, the installation of two stores is enough.
- in the summer, during a small bribe in the heat, you can put stores up 3 weeks later, which simplifies the solution to the swarming problem.
There are a number of disadvantages:
- nests develop slowly in spring;
- autumn growth of bees occurs at the level of 12 frame Dadan;
- hard to bear;
- large dimensions complicate transportation, skidding into Omshanik.
According to Siberian beekeepers, there is practically no problem with high humidity in large hives. For this, beekeepers are ready to forget about the shortcomings.
Drawings and dimensions of the Dadanov frame
For all hive models, the size of the Dadanov frame does not go beyond the standards and is 435x300 mm. The construction is preserved in a similar way. There are also half frames. They are used in store extensions. If we compare the dimensions of the half-frame with the dimensions of the Dadant frame, then the width remains unchanged - 435 mm. Reduced only the height to 145 mm.
To insulate the nest for the winter, a diaphragm is placed inside the hive. The device resembles a frame, only sheathed with plywood on both sides. The inner space is filled with insulation, usually foam. Maintain the size of the diaphragm for the Dadant hive the same as for the frame, but add 5 mm in height. In addition, the side strips are increased in thickness by 14 mm. The excess of the side elements in height and thickness allows the diaphragm to tightly close the space between the frames and the side walls of the hive.
The dimensions-drawings of the 12-frame Dadan hive can be taken as the basis for the design. The principle of making houses for a different number of frames does not differ. The scheme is left unchanged, but you just need to change the dimensions and start assembling.