Every poultry farmer knows that raising chickens is a troublesome task that requires a lot of money. The purchase and rational consumption of feed is the main concern of the farmer. Appropriate feeders will greatly reduce its costs. Convenient factory-made feeders are expensive, to save money you can make a container for feeding the birds yourself. To figure out how to make a chicken feeder with your own hands, you need to consider all types of products.
Types of feeders
Homemade feeders are distinguished depending on the material from which they are made, and according to the method of feeding the feed. By the type of feeder feeding there are:
- Grooved. The feeder has a restrictive removable grill and several compartments for feed. Thanks to this, it becomes possible to fill several types of feed at once. It’s easy to care for such models, since they are installed outside the cells. This design is used for feeding adult chickens.
- Tray. This model is suitable for feeding small chickens. The container has a flat shape, and its edges are equipped with sides. They protect the feed by preventing the birds from pulling it throughout the cage.
- Bunker. The daily feed rate is poured into a closed hopper, which feeds the grain gradually, during the day.
As a material for the manufacture of feeders, wood, plastic and metal are used. The material is selected depending on the type of feed. For dry feed, compound feed, grain and mineral additives, wooden structures are suitable. For wet feed - plastic products, since dried food residues are easier to wash from plastic. Bunkers for grass are made of metal.
Basic feeding requirements
Convenient care, durability and economical use of feed are the minimum requirements that any feeder must meet.
- Saving. Birds love to rake and scatter food around the house. To prevent this from happening, the container is protected with special devices. Nets, lintels, bumpers and various turntables not only allow you to effectively regulate feed consumption, but also protect the feeders from the ingress of various debris and litter.
- Care. Lightweight and collapsible containers are easier to care for.
- Strength. The material from which the feeders are made must not be deformed. The container is securely fixed so that from a large number of chickens it does not turn over on its side.
It is important to observe the correct dimensions of the feeders. With a small capacity there is poor access to food. Because of this, weak birds will not be able to break through to the feed between stronger individuals. But the main task of the feeders is to feed all the chickens. When creating a design, you need to know that for one chicken there is 0.5 mm of space in the feeder, for an adult bird - 100 mm.
Most popular designs
Bunker feeders for chickens and hens are made in several ways from any material at hand. You can use simple plastic bottles, sewer pipes, and more.
From plastic bottles
The easiest way to make a home-made feeder is to use plastic five-liter bottles. For the manufacture you will need 2 bottles, a knife and a flat bowl.
- We cut one bottle into two equal parts. The upper part with the neck can be thrown away, and in the lower part we cut along the perimeter several identical holes. Their size should correspond to the size of the chicken's head.
- So that the birds do not get hurt about the cuts of the holes, their edges are carefully processed.
- In the finished container we put the second bottle and fix it. The bottle is placed down with the neck, the bottom is cut from it first.
- The container is closed with a bowl after pouring food. This is necessary so that precipitation and various debris do not get inside.
If you cut a hole several times larger, then the feeder can be used as a drinking bowl for dogs.
From a plastic bucket
For the manufacture of using a plastic bucket with a lid and a sectional bowl. The size of the bowl should be larger than the diameter of the bucket.
- A clerical knife at the bottom of the bucket makes the required number of holes.
- A bowl is attached to the bottom of the tank. Screws are used as fasteners.
- The feed is poured into the tank and covered with a lid. It protects the food container from chickens.
The compact hopper feeder from the bucket is ready. A certain amount of feed is automatically poured into a bowl. For small chickens, you can make a small feeder-pincher according to the same principle. As a basis, use a mayonnaise bucket.
Automatic hopper feeder
From plywood and steel sheet You can make an automatic bunker bird feeder with your own hands.
- First you need to prepare a design drawing. According to the drawing, the front and back part are cut out of plywood. The size of the front part is 40 × 50 cm, the rear part is 40 × 40 cm. They are connected by two side walls. In this case, the side elements must have a conical shape. The size of the lid is made a few centimeters wider than the top of the tank.
- All parts are fixed with clamps and screws.
To protect against the development of bacteria and parasites capacity is treated with an antiseptic.
Simple wooden model
For a large number of birds a wooden feeder is made, similar to a trough. This model is particularly strong and durable. Two types of food can be laid here: dry and wet. The design is assembled from massive boards.
- So that when assembling the product various inconsistencies do not appear, the first thing they create is a design drawing. It indicates the exact dimensions of the bottom, side and end walls, as well as the beams. For example, the bottom size is 15 × 100 cm, while the two side walls have a size of 8 × 100 cm, the width of the end parts is 15 cm, the length of the upper bar is 100 cm, and its width is 3 cm.
- The data from the drawing is transferred to a wooden material. We cut out each detail and carefully connect it with fasteners. As fasteners use nails or screws. If gaps remain at the junction, food will spill out through them.
The feeder needs regular cleaning and cleaning., which is its only drawback.
PVC pipe model
Plastic tube chicken feeders are considered the most reliable and roomy. They can be filled with about 10 kg of feed, and the wall mount will not allow the tank to tip over. With the help of sewer pipes, vertical and horizontal feeders are made. Finding material is not difficult, as it is sold everywhere and has a low cost.
- Vertical construction. The product is assembled from three pipes of different diameters and a tee. We take a pipe 20 cm long. On one side of the workpiece we fasten the tee, on the other - we put on the plug. It will serve as the bottom of the structure. The hole from which the chicken feed will be pecked is made from a 10-centimeter section of pipe. It is attached to the side knee of the tee. A third pipe (70 cm) is mounted on the remaining tee hole. The finished structure is fixed with brackets to the wall of the chicken coop. The feed is poured into the pipe and closed with a plug. This will protect it from pollution.
- Horizontal construction. For the product you will need a pipe 1 meter long. In the middle of the pipe we cut one longitudinal hole or many small ones, and close its edges with plugs. The design is installed on wooden legs, which are made from wooden blocks. The feeder and legs are fixed with screws.
The disadvantage of feeders made from pipes is the difficulty in cleaning.
So that broilers do not stretch the grass throughout the cage, a green feeder is made from a metal mesh and plywood. Fine mesh bent into a ringconnecting the edges. Plywood is used as the bottom. The top is covered with a lid. Thanks to its convenient design, dry grass is easy to replace with fresh herbs.
Vacuum drinking bowl for chickens and indow
There are birds that need to consume large quantities of water every day. These include ducks and indochka. Do-it-yourself vacuum chick drinking bowl will help provide birds with water. It has a simple construction. As the material used a plastic bottle and a small bowl.
- Pour water into the bottle and tighten the cap.
- A wire frame is made of wire, which is attached to the wall of the house.
- Insert a bottle of water down the neck into the frame.
- A bowl is placed under the container, leaving a small gap.
Drinking bowl for turkey ready, it remains to unscrew the lid, and water will begin to flow into the bowl.
Heater for drinking bowls
Drinking bowls for ducks in winter need to be equipped with heating. Otherwise, with the advent of cold weather, birds may be left without water. Very often, at minus air temperatures, drinkers begin to freeze. You can do it yourself if the house is equipped with electricity.
- A box is assembled from metal sheets, leaving a small hole in the upper part.
- A light bulb is fixed inside the box.
- The drinker is installed on the hole. Through it, the heat from the light bulb will constantly heat the water.
There is a simpler option for heating: this is insulation with a mounting foam. In a small box, a container of water is installed, and the free zone is poured with mounting foam.